Thursday, March 22, 2012

Not O-Kcups!

I am a coffee junkie. If I could walk around with an IV pole of java pumping through my veins, I would.

I make a huge pot in the morning but by the time my sprint out the door beckons, I have left the pot half full (caffeine awakens my positive spirit-alas, if you will note I do not leave the pot half empty upon my commute).  Most days, I will take a travel mug in the car as well.  I told you, a junkie.

For the longest time I would peel into Wawa to get my hands on a 24 oz to have at my desk. Again, yes, a junkie.  Wawa is literally across the street from my building.  At the red light, I can turn left into Wawa and secure my 24 ozs and another day being 5 minutes late, or I could head right (and be right and do right and go right) into my building. On time. I often feel like this is exactly how Frost felt whilst penning The Road Not Taken. Although I am still trying to figure out which one he would have thought less traveled.

Anyway, I diverge and digress. My whole point is back in December, my Department decided to chip in and buy a Keurig. If you have to even ask what this is, you are dead to me. I could get to work faster, I could secure additional coffee more cheaply and I could start making less coffee at home and not feeling like I am wasting the world's water supply with my habit.  And surprisingly, the coffee is pretty darn good.  There's always something though isn't there? What's that saying, if something sounds too good to be true...

Turns out those little K-Cup suckers are not recyclable.  Listen, I am no hardcore environmentalist but I pride myself on my carbon footprint.  Unlike my actual footprint, my carbon one is dainty.  It has been estimated that over 7.5 million Keurig brewers have been sold.  Office cubes and offices, dentist and doctors office, hair salons, residential kitchens you name it are littered with these things.  And now, our landfills are apparently littered with the disposable cups as well.

Keurig's website read the following: "Reducing the environmental impact of our packaging materials and brewing systems is a top priority for Keurig. It is a challenge to create a portion pack that is recyclable and delivers an extraordinary cup of coffee; however, Keurig is actively working to meet this challenge head on".

Keurig got me into this brew-ha-ha and they will get me out.

-Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment